Thursday, November 02, 2006

What message do the kids get?

Here's something I never thought about -- Carlos was responding to a speaker recommendation posted on the ONDCP Community Prevention Listserv. The poster raved about the powerful speaker, a fellow in recovery, her coalition hosted at several schools. What do you think about Carlos' point? Agree? Disagree?
Hey Y'all:
Not a good idea to bring a recovering addict to speak to kids, no matter how "dynamic". The usual message that get's through is: "Look I did dope, I had some problems but now I'm famous!). Can you use a recovering addict? Yes, but for a population that has already been exposed.... not as a prevention tool.
Just a thought

Carlos Cruz
"Think About It"
Drug & Gang Prevention

Update -- Whew! this post generated alot of comments, both pro and con, on the listserv. I'm interested in what you think.

No comments: