Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Successful Internships #2: Allstate Insurance

This is the second in a series of three posts exploring what makes an internship successful for both the intern and the employer.


Dierdre Catalano and Jordan Baskerville
From Dierdre Catalano at Allstate Insurance in Westerliegh.  

 I have worked with James Orlando and the YABC program for almost 5 years now.  I have employed numerous interns from various demographic and educational backgrounds.  I, along with my colleagues, believe in the mission of the Learning to Work program, and consider it a privilege to have participated for such a long time. 

Students perform various tasks such as customer service, filing, faxing, etc.  Some have come to us with little to no work experience and needed some guidance to be successful.  We have had students express serious interest in the insurance field, so I provide with them necessary steps to an insurance sales career.

I feel that our work environment has allowed for interns to achieve success as interns, but also in their academic careers.  We look forward to continuing a relationship with NYCID and the Learning to Work program.

From Jordan Baskerville, current student intern at Allstate

         I have been working at Allstate since September 2009, when I first came to the YABC.  I love working there.  Dierdre and everyone else who works there have been really nice and taught me a lot.  I have learned about insurance and clerical work.  I may want to go to insurance school, and this internship has given me incentive to graduate and go to college. 

Everyone at YABC has helped me more than I have ever experienced at school, and I appreciate all of their help.

No comments: