Here are some additional resources for helping to teach children about philanthropy:
You'll love these young philanthropists. They will inspire you, as they have inspired us.
Here's one of our favorites, #3 Timothy Hwang and Minsoo Han:
In 2007, Timothy Hwang and Minsoo Han started Operation Fly, when they were only 14 years old. Their non-profit business offers cut-rate tutoring services to inner city students, and then uses the revenues to distribute blankets, clothing and soap to Washington D.C.’s homeless. Their organization has since spread to five cities, involves over 800 volunteers and is entirely student-run. For his efforts, Ernst & Young and Junior Achievement named Timothy Hwang the 2009 Youth Entrepreneur of the Year for the Greater Washington Region.
Here are some additional links.
- Learning to Give
- Talk About Giving
- Charity: How to Teach Your Kids To Give
From CBS Money Watch
- 9 Ways to Teach Your Child About Charity
From Parents Magazine
- Not Your Parents’ Money Book
By Jean Chatzky of the Today Show
- Five Great Ways to Teach Your Child About Philanthropy
- 65 Easy Ways For Kids to Make A Difference!
By HandsOn Network’s blog
- Pennies for Elephants – How to raise budding philanthropists
- We Give Books Poll on Reading and Giving
By the Pearson Foundation