Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Discovering Community Service

"The thing that stood out the most was the kids. I say the kids because they were cool and I actually enjoyed being with them. I thought community service was something boring, but my experience shows me that it's not. It makes me want to do more community service."- D.W., Age 16
On March 15, 2008, McKee After Three's Youth Council and Man-Up groups volunteered at the Staten Island Children's Museum Spring Eggstravaganza. The volunteers helped with a variety of activities including making arts and crafts projects with children and their families such as egg decorating, face painting and temporary tattoos, and hosting games and activities like egg relays, family photos and more.

The McKee After Three volunteers all reported they had a great time at the event and genuinely enjoyed volunteering. Man-Up group facilitator Carl Jackman, and Youth Council facilitator, Carolyn Starkey, said the volunteers were enthusiastic and throughout the day and discovered a new love of community service.

The students were asked to write about their experience - what stood out the most and whether their view of community service has changed. Below are some of their reflections and a slideshow of the day:
"The thing that stood out to me the most about Saturday's community service was the kids because the kids were funny and they are good. I feel like a kid too. It was good because it could help me to get a career and it helps me be a man." -T.A., Age 16
"The thing that stood out to me the most about Saturday's community service was how we handled our job in the best way possible and how we made sure the kids had a good, fun day. We can bring joy to people's lives and I can help my community." - J.R.- Age 16
"The thing that stood out to me the most about Saturday's community service was how much fun I had because playing with the kids made me feel better about myself and reminded me I was there to do something good. I learned that not all community service is picking up garbage and cleaning parks. When I found out that I was working with kids, I thought they were going to be annoying but I was wrong and had fun." - J.W.- Age 17
"The thing that stood out to me the most about Saturday's community service was the hundreds of kids who showed up because we did not see the same kids over and over unless they stayed. I learned community service is not always cleaning up something and being bored but that you can have fun by helping little kids have fun."- A.R., Age 17


No comments: